Another gem in the floral calendar is the Hampton Court Flower Show, which starts today.
As an RHS member, I love the annual flower shows that take place each year, they are just filled with so much floral pretty and inspiration. I have thousands of pictures from flower shows over the years but can’t bring myself to cull any of them! Taking place in early July, it follows the *RHS Chelsea Flower Show*, which you might have seen in May. To give you a taste of what is in store for this year’s show, I am featuring some of the highlights of the 2014 show. Plenty of inspiration for wedding flowers or just to appreciate the floral pretty!
The Hampton Court Flower Show takes place is the world’s largest flower show and takes place in the grounds of Hampton Court Palace, the favourite residence of King Henry VIII.
The first two days of the show are for RHS members only but the show is open to the public on the remaining days. Like Chelsea, the sell-off begins on the last day at 4.30pm.
The show is spread over a large area and is split into three zones:
*The Grow Zone*
– Floral Marquee: filled with an abundance of blooms and nursery displays.
– Plant Village: a lush selection of greenery to browse and buy.
– Plant Heritage Marquee: advice from passionate plant experts.
– Gardening Stalls: a wonderful array of stalls filled with attractive displays and everything that you could possibly imagine for your garden!
– Potting Benches: demonstrations and top potting tips.
*The Escape Zone*
– Rose Marquee: beautiful roses in full bloom arranged in gorgeous displays. Last year took on a big top circus theme, which was fabulous.
– Community Area: Lots of community projects displayed, including the quirky scarecrow competition is fun and all entries are provided by schools.
– Growing Tastes Marquee: delicious foods and fresh produce. Lots of grow-your-own and from farm to table goods.
– Country Living Pavilion: stylish arts and crafts for the home and garden, all with a splash of country chic.
– Conceptual Gardens: all with a theme, a wonderful selection of talented garden designers show off their creations. Last year’s was the Seven Deadly Sins.
– Show Gardens: the infamous beautifully designed gardens are stunning and surrounded by onlookers, so you may not be able to get that close!
– Theatre: talks, demonstrations and top tips performed by celebrities.
– Shopping: A whole range of innovative products for horticultural purposes and for prettifying outdoor spaces.
There is so much to see, explore and do that this really is a dreamy day out, perfect in the summer sunshine. The bandstand has the most fantastic musical programme, which is lovely to listen to with one of the many delicious ice cream flavours on offer. There are lots of fabulous treats dotted around to make your browsing more enjoyable, including Pimms, Champagne and plenty of cake.
This year sees the 25th anniversary of the show and there will be appropriate floral festivities, including a giant birthday cake and a maze. This year’s sees a slight change to the zones: Grow, Feast and Inspire.
For more information, please see *RHS Hampton Court*