Today’s *Honeymoon Heaven* inspiration features…*Sensational Safari Sabi Sands Style*
Going on safari was the one thing both my husband and I knew we wanted to do on our honeymoon and we are so glad we did – it was the highlight of our trip and certainly the best holiday experience we have had.
*Trailfinders Most Popular Wildlife Trips*
The Galapagos (sea life) – Borneo (orangutans and jungle life) – Botswana (Okavango safari) – Costa Rica (turtles and rainforest wildlife) – India (tigers) – Tanzania (Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater safaris) – Rwanda (gorillas) – Brazil (Pantanal wetlands – leopards and birdlife) – Sri Lanka (leopards, elephants and whales) – Polar cruises (polar bears, penguins, seals and whales)
The two hour drive took us through some beautiful scenery – lots of lush greenery and the hustle and bustle of South African life.
We chose to safari in the Lion Sands reserve due to its location and its success at spotting the Big Five.
The final part of the drive into the Lion Sands private game reserve was undulating scrubland but also with open vistas. The drive was incredible as we arrived into the safari lodge greeted by these two lovely characters!
*Lion Sands Safari Highlights*
* Game Drives – Lion Sands take guests out on two game drives a day. Firstly, a sunrise drive, which is a very early start but staff make you feel incredibly comfortable with a hot drink, blankets and hot water bottles before returning for breakfast.
Then a sunset game drive ending with drinks and snacks to watch the sun set.
* Safari Walk – Led by the rangers, we embarked on a walk to spot birds, hippos and crocodiles up close.
* Safari Lodge – a real rustic feel to the lodge which had incredible views from its commanding position overlooking the riverbed, allowing us to take in the amazing surroundings and wildlife.
* Safari Room – lovely setting and amazing views – within ten minutes of arriving we saw an elephant through our window!
* Breakfast in the trees – we ate our breakfast in a most wonderful location – up in the trees!
* Pool – an incredible view overlooking the river
* Dining beneath the stars – we had a wonderful dinner lit by fire followed by stargazing. The chefs were so helpful in dealing with my dietary requirements.
* Tree House Stay – A luxury tree house where you enjoy a gourmet picnic and sleep under the stars whilst hearing the magical sounds of nature.
* Visit to the Elephant Whispers – an elephant sanctuary which rescues orphaned elephants. We adopted an elephant and this supports the conservation of elephants in Kruger National Park and teaches local communities how to work alongside elephtants.
*Top Ten Wildlife Spots*
4. Cape Buffalo
Our stay at the Lion Sands was just superb – an experience which we will never forget enhanced by the friendly staff, incredible game drives, informative rangers, gorgeous lodge and beautiful sunsets.
Next week | Magnificent Mauritius